Gardewine is a Manitoba company, with terminals across Canada and a strong history that dates back to the 1950’s. Since being founded in the northern community of Flin Flon we have grown significantly by diversifying within the transportation industry. The most important aspect of our company’s operations is our dedicated people; our people will always be the source of our success and their safety and health will always come first. We are currently seeking an Afternoon Dock Leadhand to join our team in our Toronto Terminal.
The Dock Leadhand is an essential part of the cross dock operations, specifically with inbound and outbound operations within the terminal. They will carry out all the front line supervisory activities of the cross dock operation through a team of dockworkers to ensure maximum efficiencies, profit maximization and overall smooth operations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participates as an active team member by assisting in the movement of freight on the dock
- Train and develop dockworkers
- Create a cooperative work environment with all external and internal customers to ensure a high level of customer service
- Assist the foreman in the setup and organization of the shift
- Supervise unloading and loading of trailers/trucks in order to maintain efficiencies and ensure proper freight handling
- Assist in solving freight problems as they arise
- Monitor dock for efficiency and cleanliness
- Processes paperwork accordingly to company standards and in a timely manner
- Manage inventory of tools and supplies to reduce risk, loss and damage
- Practices Safe work procedures and ensure team practices safe work
- Assists as needed in other Dock functions that support operations goals and objectives
Ideally you have experience working in a large commercial/industrial facility leading a team. Ideally, you have a minimum of one year experience in general freight operations. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure and manage critical and unplanned requirements. Strong interpersonal skills to foster and build working relationships with business unit leaders in addition to vendors, contractors, and suppliers. Competent ability and capacity to get the job done through a hands on approach. Experience using all Microsoft Office programs. Working knowledge of WHMIS and the Health & Safety Act. Prior experience and certification using a forklift.
For this position you will be required to bend, stoop, stand, walk, turn, pivot, and stand for long periods of time. The operation of power and manual tools on a regular daily basis. They will be responsible for operating forklifts in a sitting position, walkie talkie and power jacks in a standing position from time to time. Balance with hand and foot coordination with ability to assess weights and judge distances and heights is needed. Ability to work in varying temperatures, depending upon season. Must wear PPE at all times. Regular use of computer.
We offer a work environment focused on continuous improvement supported by autonomy and empowerment with a competitive base salary; extended health benefits; life and disability insurance; retirement packages (Matched pension, RSP Options, Stock Options); and profit sharing program.
This is an Evening shift, Monday to Friday, 15:00 to 23:30pm