Gardewine is a Manitoba company, with terminals across Canada and a strong history that dates back to the 1950’s. Since being founded in the northern community of Flin Flon we have grown significantly by diversifying within the transportation industry. The most important aspect of our company’s operations is our dedicated people; our people will always be the source of our success and their safety and health will always come first. We are currently seeking a Divisional Controller to join our team in our Winnipeg Terminal.
The Divisional Controller is responsible for preparing and reporting on several aspects within the Finance department. In general, key responsibilities include: oversight of divisional financial statements and acts as a point of contact for divisional managers, supporting the month end / quarter / year end reporting requirements, creating financial analysis and KPI’s to help support operations, conducting reconciliation, completing government reports, and supporting ERP system maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for monthly divisional financial statements and acts as a resource for divisional managers on financial matters
- Management, performance evaluation, and coaching of various staff in the finance department
- Assist with preparation of monthly internal and external financial reporting
- Reconcile accounts monthly, quarterly and yearly
- Complete month end closing procedures on assigned financial statement items
- Support the development and monitoring of financial reports and key performance indicators for operational and corporate goals
- Source, investigate and recommend improvements on process, accuracy, and efficiency within the department
- Prepare monthly and quarterly government remittances
- Communicates regularly with Controller on issues, concerns, or potential costs to the organization
- Prepare budget / P&L statements
- Assist on special projects within the Finance department
- Produces ad-hoc financial reports or analysis of key business areas as needed
- Supports month end, quarter end and year end reporting
- Supports all Safety initiatives
- Assists as needed within the Finance department in support of operational goals and objectives
- Other duties as assigned
In the absence of Controller and Vice President of Finance may supervise finance team.
The ideal candidate has excellent math skills and a passion for finding solutions to complex problems with proven capabilities through a minimum of five years’ experience. Must have recognized accounting designation as a CMA, CGA, CA or CPA. Well-developed organizational skills to manage competing deadlines in a complicated and diverse business model, with an analytical mind-set. Strong communication and interpersonal skill set that foster working relationships and support your focus on overcoming challenges, creating solutions, and implementing improvements. Instinctive propensity to manage confidential and sensitive issues. Experience working in a multifaceted transportation industry will be considered beneficial.
Technical: Proficient with Microsoft Office products, specifically excel required.
For this position, you will be required to sit predominantly using a PC for long periods to entirety of shift.
Benefits & Perks
- Manitoba’s Largest Trucking Company
- 35 Terminals across North America
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive group health benefits
- Company Matched Pension Plan
- Profit Share Program
At Gardewine, we are committed to continually improving our approach to building a diverse, inclusive, and value driven workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experiences do not align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply regardless. You could just be the right candidate for this role or others! Gardewine is an equal opportunity employer and recognized as a Top Fleet Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected further in the process will be contacted. To view other Gardewine opportunities currently available, please visit our website at www.gardewine.com.