Location: ON – Thunder Bay
Professional Areas: Operations (Dock & Dispatch)
Gardewine is a Manitoba company, with terminals across Canada and a strong history that dates back to the 1950’s. Since being founded in the northern community of Flin Flon we have grown significantly by diversifying within the transportation industry. The most important aspect of our company’s operations is our dedicated people; our people will always be the source of our success and their safety and health will always come first. We are currently seeking a Midnight Foreman to join our team in our Thunder Bay Terminal.
Reporting to the Terminal Manager and Operations Supervisor, the Foreman will carry out all the supervisory activities of the cross dock operation through a team of dockworkers and lead hands; additionally, the Foreman will partner with the terminal support team and drivers to ensure operational excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures all dock activities are carried out efficiently and effectively to ensure ultimate customer satisfaction with on time and accurate deliveries
- Minimize OS&D by ensuring stripping and loading of trucks is done accordingly to operational procedures
- Supervise, coach and develop terminal employees in all operational areas, operation of equipment, safety and teamwork
- Schedule and monitor the use of equipment to maximize utilization
- Provide ongoing training to lead hands
- Maintain staff levels that insure an acceptable and standard level of productivity and performance
- Monitor freight movement to ensure maximum load factors and service levels
- Work with all employees to ensure smooth operations under all conditions
- Assist with terminal other operational activities
- Administer reporting and record keeping on productivity, utilization and service levels
- Minimize severity or frequency of accidents of contractors and dock personnel through risk identification process
- Review weekly dock schedule
- Plan work schedules, ensuring adequate staffing requirements
- Directs activities of dockworkers; inspecting completed tasks
- Develop and execute training plan for dock workers
- Ensure housekeeping, productivity, and quality of work standards are maintained
- Achieve departmental, as well as personal goals
- Manage inventory of tools and supplies to reduce risk, loss and damage
- Provide consistent communication with dispatch and terminal manager on activities
- Practices Safe work procedures and ensures team practices safe work
- Assists as needed in other terminal functions that support goals and objectives
Ideally you have Experience working in a large commercial/industrial facility leading a team. Ideally, you have post-secondary education and a minimum of three years’ experience in general freight operations. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure and manage critical and unplanned requirements. Strong interpersonal skills to foster and build working relationships with business unit leaders in addition to vendors, contractors, and suppliers. Competent ability and capacity to get the job done through a hands on approach. Experience using all Microsoft Office programs. Working knowledge of WHMIS and the Health & Safety Act.
For this position, you will be required to bend, stoop, stand, walk, turn, pivot, and stand for long periods of time. The operation of power tools and manual tools on a regular daily basis. l Occasional sitting and operating powered equipment. Lift up and move up to 50 pounds and adjust body position to maneuver. Need a good sense of balance with hand and foot coordination with ability to assess weights and judge distances and heights. Ability to work in varying temperatures, depending upon season. Must wear PPE at all times. Regular use of computer.
Benefits & Perks
- Manitoba’s Largest Trucking Company
- 35 Terminals across North America
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive group health benefits
- Company Matched Pension Plan
- Profit Share Program
THIS IS A SUNDAY TO THURSDAY POSITION.
THE SHIFTS WILL BE FROM 11:00PM TO 7:30AM.
At Gardewine, we are committed to continually improving our approach to building a diverse, inclusive, and value driven workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experiences do not align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply regardless. You could just be the right candidate for this role or others! Gardewine is an equal opportunity employer and recognized as a Top Fleet Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected further in the process will be contacted. To view other Gardewine opportunities currently available, please visit our website at www.gardewine.com.