Celebrating more than six decades in the industry and still driving forward – we deliver!

From a foundation in 1952 in Flin Flon, Manitoba, Gardewine has evolved from its humble beginnings into a fully integrated, multi-disciplined transportation service provider, satisfying the needs of a diverse contingent of customers and serving over 3,500 communities throughout Canada.

OUR HISTORY AND LEGACY

1952

It all started in 1952, when Gardewine & Sons was officially founded in the northern community of Flin Flon, Manitoba by Ralph Gardewine and sons Ed and Cecil.  The small, privately held trucking company serviced Northern Manitoba communities, as well as a daily run between Winnipeg and Flin Flon.

During the Sixties, Gardewine & Sons was a key player in Northern Manitoba’s development and growth transporting supplies, equipment, and components for Manitoba Hydro.

1952

1961

Gardewine’s first acquisition.  The company purchases the public service vehicle rights of Gypsumville Transfer with locations in Winnipeg, Flin Flon, and Grand Rapids, Manitoba.

1961

1962

Gardewine is profiled in an issue of Highway News in an article “Pioneer Northern Highway Transporters:  Gardewine & Sons, pioneers of Winnipeg-Flin Flon service, expand.”

1962

1966

Gardewine’s head office moves from Flin Flon to a Fife Street location in Winnipeg, MB.

1966

1967

Paul Albrechtsen purchases Gardewine & Sons.

1967

1969

Gardewine begins serving Dauphin and area after acquiring Clark Freighters Ltd.

1969

1970s

The “Big G” logo replaces the old Gardewine & Sons logo.  The new design won the Governor General’s award for design excellence. 

1970s

1971

Gardewine’s Winnipeg headquarters moves to 300 Oak Point Highway.

1971

1972

Gardewine opens a terminal in Thompson, MB

1972

1975

Northern Leasing begins operations in the mid-1970’s as Gardewine’s custom contract hauling division.  Northern Leasing trucks and drivers move trailers bearing a customer’s logo on a dedicated basis.  Northern Leasing eventually becomes Northern Cartage, providing custom contract hauling solutions predominantly throughout Western Canada. 

1975

1978

Northern Bulk Hauling is incorporated in early 1978 to handle ore hauls in Flin Flon, expanding into other communities including Leaf Rapids and Snow Lake.  In the early 1980’s Northern Bulk took on wood chip hauls in Kenora and Fort Frances, Ontario areas. The division has continued to expand into Northern Ontario with the type of products moved and customers and served.

1978

1981-1988

Gardewine expands its operations in Northern and Central Manitoba through the acquisition of nine companies serving various communities, including Norway House and Neepawa.

1981-1988

1990-2002

Gardewine expands its operation and areas served throughout Southern and Central Manitoba with the acquisition of 19 trucking companies or segments of their operations.

1990-2002

1991

Gardewine begins service to some Saskatchewan points when LTL rights are purchased from Roblin Truck Service.

1991

1992

Gardewine’s Mission and Vision statements are developed.

1992

1993

Gardewine begins offering service in Northwestern Ontario.

1993

1994

Gardewine purchases Motorways’ Winnipeg head office and dock property at 60 Eagle Drive after Motorways closes, moving into the location in the spring of 1995.  60 Eagle Drive remains Gardewine’s head office location today.  Gardewine also purchased some smaller Motorways terminal buildings in Ontario and Manitoba.

1994

1999

Gardewine announces an increased emphasis on service to North and Northwest Ontario through Gardewine’s ten terminals and agencies in Atikokan, Dryden, Ear Falls, Fort Frances, Kenora, North Bay, Red Lake, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Toronto.  Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, and Toronto (Mississauga) Terminals are now main hub locations for Gardewine.

Nunavut territory becomes part of the expanding Gardewine service in the north when 133 piggyback trailers, four boxcars, and 30 auto carriers are loaded at Thompson, shipped by train to Churchill, and transferred to barges for the final leg to Nunavut points.

1999

2002

The 60 Eagle Drive Winnipeg dock area expands by 14,000 square feet.  Twenty-three of the 34 new doors are refrigerated to accommodate the growing Perishable freight service.   Today Gardewine’s main Winnipeg dock has 93 loading doors.

Gardewine launches its Northern Deck division.  The new division’s focus is to meet the specialized shipping needs of customers whose products are not easily loaded into a standard trailer and provide solutions to moving loads of all shapes and sizes. The division grows quickly right from the start, with customers across the country. When the demand for service outside the Gardewine network becomes too great, Gardewine introduces a new division to handle the logistics.

2002

2003

Northern Logistics commences operations to meet customer demand for service to and from points outside the Gardewine asset-based service network.

2003

2007

Gardewine purchases Motopac Western Parcel Service of Winnipeg, rebranding the company as Northern Parcel.

2007

2008

TriWest Capital Partners acquires Gardewine.

2008

2011

Gardewine acquires Trans Provincial Freight Carriers Ltd. of Sault Ste. Marie, ON on September 30.  The addition helps further strengthen Gardewine’s network capacity and provide expanded service options including direct service between Northern Ontario and Montreal.

2011

2014

Gardewine rebrands under one name and unveils a new logo on June 4.  One of Gardewine’s strengths has always been the wide range of service offerings and the ability to move virtually any type of freight from small parcels to oversized loads. At the time of rebranding, these services were performed through five divisions: Gardewine North, Northern Bulk, Northern Cartage, Northern Deck, and Northern Logistics.   Rebranding under one name sends a clear message to customers: We are one company.  This is who we are and what we do. The new design also pays tribute to the company’s history with a new look to the Gardewine name. To complement the new logo, the tagline “Just Gardewine It!” is also introduced.

2014

2015

Mullen Group Ltd. announces the acquisition of Gardewine on November 24, 2014.  Gardewine operates as an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of Mullen Group Ltd. The acquisition officially closes on January 9, 2015.

2015

Today

Today Gardewine responds to the needs of our customers through the supply of LTL, TL, Dedicated, Deck, Bulk, Logistics, Warehousing, Moving & Storage, Cold Chain, Ambient, Courier, and Expedited/Hot Shot services.

Satisfying the needs of a diverse contingent of customers with our exceptional professional workforce of over 1700 diligent and hardworking professionals, we proudly serve over 3500 communities throughout Canada, North America and beyond.

Today
Scroll to Top

Thank-you for contact us. A representative will be in touch with you shortly.